By Matt Schneider
This is my first edition of the preview. This is to get you ready for the draft in April. Whether your favorite college team is losing a star or your favorite NFL team is looking bad and you are already looking forward to the draft. This is meant to preview the draft happening in April. I will preview a mock draft of the top ten based on records and will highlight one player each week and talk about their strengths and weaknesses. We will look at the different positions as well. Since we are in Southern Illinois, we will preview what the St. Louis Rams and Chicago Bears should do in the draft. The NFL draft is the time for teams to grab franchise players and to find those diamonds in the rough. This is what we will dissect throughout the NFL season.
If the NFL season ended today this is what the first ten picks in the draft would look like:
- Detroit Lions – Robert Nkemdiche DL Ole Miss. Detroit needs a replacement for Suh and this is it.
- Jacksonville Jaguars- Joey Bosa DL Ohio State. There offense is progressing but that defense is a work in progress. Bosa brings this defense a threat on the edge.
- Baltimore Ravens – Ronnie Stanley T Notre Dame. They need help on that line and this pick provides instant support.
- New Orleans Saints- Jaylon Smith LB Notre Dame. Any pick here for defense would make sense but Smith is a playmaker and my top linebacker.
- Houston Texans- Laremy Tunsil T Ole Miss. Houston needs help all over. This pick helps there running game and there passing game also.
- Kansas City Chiefs- Vernon Hargreaves CB Florida. The Chiefs need help on both sides of the ball. This pick helps the secondary a lot.
- San Francisco 49ers- Jalen Ramsey CB Florida State. The secondary got torched by Eli this week and is a need of an upgrade.
- Tennessee Titans- Ezekiel Elliot RB Ohio State. The way to make Mariota better is to add a playmaking running back.
- Miami Dolphins- Jack Conklin T Michigan State. This helps Tannehill and hopefully stops his complaining.
- Chicago Bears- Jared Goff QB California. This pick changes the scheme in Chicago. The best quarterback in the draft falls to Chicago.
Chicago gets a steal with Goff. Houston needs a quarterback but there are much more needs to address before that. There are not that many sexy picks but it is because of the teams in this position. Goff is the top player in this draft but many teams in this draft don’t have a need for him.
Jared Goff, Quarterback, California
In my opinion Jared is the best prospect in this class. Many people have said he is the best quarterback in the draft since Andrew Luck. He has been compared to people like Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning, and Matt Ryan. He is everything you want in a rookie passer. Goff makes good decisions and has the ability to make changes and read the defense. He is small and isn’t an elusive runner. He has good arm strength but not the best. He also doesn’t step into throws and fades when he throws the ball. He reminds me of Eli except he doesn’t turn the ball over as much. They both are similar in their skills and have great footwork.
Chicago Bears Scouting Notebook: Team needs: QB, LB, CB, S
Chicago has many team needs but these are immediate. The Bears should be able to fill one of these right away. I have Goff going to Chicago but that is if teams pass on him. If they don’t get Goff they could go for Christian Hackenberg the number 2 rated QB from Penn State or could fill any of there defensive problems.
St. Louis Rams Scouting Notebook: Team needs: WR, CB, T
The Rams have a great defense but if there is a weak part it is the secondary. Nick Foles needs someone to throw the ball down the field to. The Rams can become legitimate contenders if this offense can be a consistent threat. I see them going after a wide out in the first round. They will have their choice of recievers to choose from. Josh Doctson, Mike Williams, and Laquon Treadwell are going to be a few of their options.